Thursday, February 25, 2016

Understanding What I Know

We all know that there's a big difference between knowing something and understanding it. That's never more true than in the Christian life. Every Christian knows the Gospel, but from the time that a person gets saved until they pass into the presence of God, every day is a lesson in what the Gospel actually means. We're constantly unpacking the truths that we already know, which is why a passage of Scripture can hit us like a ton of bricks, even if we already have it memorized.
 
Today is one of those days when things are just harder. Nothing in particular is wrong. It's just hard. So today is an opportunity to understand something that I already know.
 
In my time with Him, God led to me to a passage that I've read a hundred times, but it was just what I needed to hear.
 
May you be strengthened with all power, according to his glorious might, for all endurance and patience with joy,  giving thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of the saints in light.  He has delivered us from the domain of darkness and transferred us to the kingdom of his beloved Son, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins. Colossians 1:11-14
 
That's what I need! I need God's power and glorious might. I need endurance and patience seasoned with joy. I need a heart that gratefully remembers all that God has already done for me through the sacrifice of His Son. I need to keep living in the light, even when the darkness closes in around me.
 
I need to understand what I already know.
 
I am loved by God.
 
I belong to God.
 
I've been redeemed by God.
 
I'm qualified to share in the inheritance given to the saints by God our Father.
 
I have all of the resources of heaven at my disposal.
 
I am not alone.

1 comment:

  1. A Christian friend of mine refers to this "understanding" our "posture" in Christ. Our posture is our standing and position in Christ. It's such a reassuring thought that we are HEIRS to the Kingdom right now. We have access to the Kingdom because God has chosen to save us and love us so unconditionally. I enjoyed this post! You are truly gifted spiritually!

    ReplyDelete