Sunday, April 10, 2016

Why Write?

This is the question that I've been asking myself. I've been trying to build a writing career for years, and so far it has cost me far more than it has made. Very few writers make a living by writing. Most use writing to supplement their income or invest in writing as a promotional tool for other services that they offer, such as conferences.

So here I am, a writer by birth, still asking the question, "Why should I even try?"

There are two answers. First, I can't not write. I've tried a hundred times. I've really tried to give up. It's a very painful thing to face the rejection and disappointment that comes from failed attempts at a writing career, so I have tried to work "regular jobs" and put away all hopes of writing. But then I find myself behind a keyboard, desperately working on something that just has to get out. Sometimes I share it. Sometimes it gets published. Sometimes it never sees the light of day. But it always gets written. Why? I just have to write. It's how God wired me. 

Do I wish that He had wired me to be content in a steady paying job with insurance and no desire to write?
 
Yep. 

Did He ask me? 

Nope.

The second answer is a little less practical and far more romantic. There's just something divine about the written word. It's practically immortal. Even if my words are only read by a handful of people, that conversation becomes a permanent part of their story. It may not be a highlight. They may not even remember the experience, but it never ceases to be a part of who they are. That's a huge responsibility, and that's an immense privilege! 

Consider it for a moment. When I read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, I am thinking the same thoughts that William Shakespeare thought in 1599. Now whenever I hear the word honorable, I think of Antony's speech. ("For Brutus is an honorable man.") It shapes how I respond to the world around me. It changes me.

I will never have the ability or notoriety of William Shakespeare. (And that's okay because I'm still much happier than he ever was.) But I can impact other people through writing. 

It may never make me a dime, but through the written word, I get to be a part of other people's lives, and if I'm very faithful and very blessed, I may just have the immense privilege of drawing other people closer to Christ.

So that's why I write.

2 comments:

  1. The desire and skill to write has been given to you by God as you surely know. And you are being a good steward by USING that gift. We are to be good stewards of ALL that God gives to us. It really isn't necessary that you make mounds of money from using your gift of writing. It is MORE important that you continue to write and God will use what you write to help, teach, touch, guide, motivate, and encourage others. Yes, you can impact lives and hearts through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The desire and skill to write has been given to you by God as you surely know. And you are being a good steward by USING that gift. We are to be good stewards of ALL that God gives to us. It really isn't necessary that you make mounds of money from using your gift of writing. It is MORE important that you continue to write and God will use what you write to help, teach, touch, guide, motivate, and encourage others. Yes, you can impact lives and hearts through your words.

    ReplyDelete