Tuesday, December 1, 2015

O Come Emmanuel!

Edwin and I recently had the joy of going on an over-night date. It was a tremendously good opportunity to spend time with Edwin. With his weird work schedule, we don't get much quality time together. With the girls with my parents', we made the short trek to Buffalo. We went out to a movie, and there, next to the theater, was a Hobby Lobby! I didn't even know that there were Hobby Lobby stores in New York, so I obviously needed to spend at least 90 minutes walking through the thoroughly decked-out store.

Walking through a balanced mix of Scriptural Christmas decorations and snowmen, I suddenly experienced a rush of gratitude.
 
How am I so blessed that I get to know this Jesus?
How am I so incredibly lavished by grace that the baby in the manger is my dearest friend?
How can the Perfect One become so weak and frail, all for the sake of people who broke His heart?
Why was I born in a time and place where I could know the One for whom Israel waited for generations?
What kind of grace could hatch such an awesome plan as this: that God would become a baby, live among us, die for us, and be raised to bring us into new life?
 
The remnant of Israel waited for generations to see the Messiah. Many of them died long before He came, never seeing His promised One in the land of the living. You and I are incredibly blessed to live in a time when all who trust in Christ can have a personal, intimate relationship with the Most High God! We can know Jesus! Yet I find myself easily distracted by sad attempts to maintain the fading glory of earthly holiday trappings.
 
As I walked through the craft store, completely overwhelmed by God's grace to me, I begged Him to keep me from getting lost in all of the diversions that could pull me away from Him. I prayed that He would be my greatest joy this Christmas.
 
I pray the same for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment